Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Add-ins Plug-ins Extensions

I cant find any reference which explains how Add-ins, Plug-ins and Extensions differ from one other. I just cant accept them to be synonyms.

Here is an account of how I interpret each one. Please correct me or point me to appropriate source.

Add-ins
I guess add-ins are those modules which bring-in a specific fuctionality, at runtime, for such requirements which are unknown at build time. That mean Application is unaware about source of Add-ins. Normally they are chosen from list to add. eg.Excel Ad-Ins

Plug-ins
I guess Plug-ins are those modules for which an adapter is built inside the application at build time. Thus a trust relation ship exists between application and Plug-In at Runtime.

Extensions
I guess Extensions are those modules which are added to bring in additional functionality by installation and probably with a restart of main application. Extensions operate in isolation with build time functionality.

No comments: