Monday, April 27, 2009

A Self-confessed Slave

Source

“For people who are stupid, we say that they lack a brain. Figuratively, we associate a condition with an organ and say that that organ is missing. So if someone is weak and pliable, we say that they lack a spine or a backbone. Someone cruel and inhuman, we refer to as heartless. With the lack of courage, we associate gutlessness. Emasculation has obvious connections. So I was wondering: which organ or part of the body is there an association with ethics? If someone lacks all sense of morality and ethics, what part of the body are they missing?”

Though the context of original article is different, these words carry much broader meaning.

In my sense dealing with a cruel person is far easier than dealing with unethical person. Moral consciousness is the ability by means of which we perceive what is good and what is bad. In my opinion those who lack sense of morality are deaf and those who lack ethics are blind.

We we are placed in a situation to judge based on arguments from either side we are expected to show morality. That is why I feel lack of morality is like being deaf.

Similarly ethics are intangible. They are just perceived. But only those with an eye can perceive them. Thus in my opinion those who lack ethics are blind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont know what prompted you to write this, but I have been having the same quandry.

Im also faced with if I see something that I percieve as unethical .. what should I do ? Anyway its an endless debate.