Thursday, April 20, 2006

Scitilla SciTE


I was using notepad++ on windows since long time, but I never bothered to look into what was behind it.

Just today I came to know about scintilla.org.
Downloded SciTE for linux with GTK+ support. I am on Gentoo 2006.0.First thought of looking for an ebuild, then relaised that is too much to expect.

Installation is damn simple. I didn't compile just tried binary version. Copied SciTE to /usr/local/bin and all properties files to /use/share/scite/

Experimented with cpp and py files. Ofcourse python integration would be netive thingi for this.
I happened to modify cpp.properties file to take ./ infront of executable file name.

Joined scintella intereset group. My first post to that group is
"bash like shell expects ./ before executable to run.cpp.propeties file line 283 need to be modified to like thiscommand.go.$(file.patterns.cplusplus)=./$(FileName)"

SciTE on windows.
This time I downloaded source and built using VC7 nmake.
Its quite simple just downloaded source of SciTE. SciTe source code includes Scitilla source also.

Built Scintilla library using nmake -f scintilla.mak from "scite168\scintilla\win32" directory,then scite use nmake -f scite.mak from scite168\scite\win32 directory.

Some hickups with setting the environment with vsvars32.bat in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools directory. I was getting errors like nmake is not a recognised command.

Then I checked batch file, this file doesn't add anything to registry, it sets environemnt on current console.So the environement is valid for that console only.

I use cygwin on windows. SciTE can be used to build and execute. These options are present under Tools menu. Inorder to use gcc compiler, i added c:\cygwin\bin directory to path environment variable.

I just tested a simple cpp file. All works well. I am going to use SciTE till I find it inferior to anything else.

No comments: